Well Done involved so much teamwork from incredibly generous, yet seriously talented people. We wanted to showcase some of the moments that happened behind the scenes. Whether you love to make films, or you love to see films, we hope this site offers something for you.

Blog Archive

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Waiting Game

The DVD's have been mailed and film festival submissions are underway. The website is almost finished.

Now we wait.


I'm hitting the books while we have this rare period of calm. Some titles are new to me; others I have already read. I'm amazed at how different topics jump off the page after making a new film. Though some of these books are not specific to film, they will contribute to my approach in future projects.

Most of these books were recommended to me, and I was so grateful to hear about them. I thought I would pass these on:




In the Blink of an Eye, by Walter Murch

I knew I'd want to dive into this book after the editing journey that we had with Well Done. After this reading I know I'll visit it again and again. I have read few books on any subject that can match Walter Murch's thoughtful approach to his craft.



Cinematic Storytelling, by Jennifer Van Sijll

One of our goals for the next project is to incorporate camera movement into our vocabulary when planning the shots. This book is an ideal place to start





Looking at Movies, by Richard Barsam

An introduction to film text that I appreciate a lot more after having made this film.


On Writing, by Stephen King

Stephen King talks frankly about his experiences with a life of writing.



How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds
, by Nicholas Boothman

This book was written by a fashion photographer known for putting models at ease. He discusses different learning styles (visual, auditory and kinesthetic) and how to identify and support different styles when working with others.




Mindset: The New Psychology of Success
, by Carol Dweck

I saved the best for last. My only regret with this book is that I didn't read it earlier--like when I was four. This book discusses two opposing mindsets and how understanding them can increase opportunities for growth. Reading this book may not only change you as a filmmaker, but also change every other aspect of your life.